15 October 2006

Proxima Stacio: 90210

Thursday was a national holiday in honor of the Madonna of something so we didn't have classes. I woke up late (2-ish as I am apt to do these days) and was sure that my roommates were probably doing something productive or out. Yeah right. I walked into the living room and they were sitting in their pajamas watching Beverly Hills 90210. I think it was the episode where Brenda thinks she's pregnant but can't be sure since that station doesn't have the subtitle option. So naturally, this led to a discussion of the characters we had crushes on (Dylan fans?), how old we were when it was on air, and somehow culminated in humming the A-Team theme song. Boys.

But this brings me to Wednesday night. I went to a party thrown by some of the other exchange students and we went dancing afterwards at Sala Bikini, which actually played hip-hop (yay!). Now b-school, much like law school, is like high school in that it's very clique-y. It's no different in the exchange program where there's a cabal of LA-Canadians-Germans of varying degrees of niceness. I hang out with them sometimes but it's so...incestuous. It's the same with the Asians from Asia. I understand that groups help us order our world and blah blah blah but it's weird that you would come here and be so insular. It also kinda sucks that I'm the only person from my school and the other schools send at least 2 people.

Needless to say, I miss MN. I miss the physical intimacy and contact (hugging and cuddling, you perverts) and much prefer a genuine hug over a superficial double cheek kiss any day. Perhaps I should start a Barcelona cuddling party? But most of all, I miss the idea, more than the nearness, of him. In a way, two of my roommates, let's call them Pepe Le Peu and the Croc Hunter, are my...companions? I think they're in a similar situation since they're both married. I often commute with Pepe since we have some of the same classes. Thursday, the three of us went out to do something cultural and grabbed some tapas and beer afterwards. Friday, the Croc Hunter and I tried to go to the Picasso Museum but were deterred by the long-ass line.

I am officially cultured out. Saturday, I went inside Sagrada Familia, which really is quite unfinished, and waited 45 minutes to take the lift to the top (an extra 2 euros). Unfortunately, I had to wait in line behind a couple that was making out (ass grabbing and face sucking) before they decided to get a room somewhere else. But then, I ended up behind these two French guys who whistled in harmony the entire time. To the Wedding March. I know I'm a tourist too but I am not annoying most of the time. I then went to the contemporary art museum MACBA, which, although it is a great Richard Meier building, I don't actually recommend going inside or paying to see more than the first floor. It's a strange juxtaposition because the building is very modern, white, and sterile but is in the middle of Barri Gotic, which is lively, old, and filled with skateboarders. I don't want to see any more churches, most likely ever, so I don't know what I'm going to do in Rome next weekend. Suggestions?

Last night I went out with a couple in the exchange program and the Croc Hunter, who goes to b-school with them, and then to a bar night for the school. It was mostly people I didn't know so I left with the other exchange students after awhile. Today I mostly pissed the day away and caved in and got a bagel with lox and cream cheese. It's already 6pm so I should do homework (my first real assignment) and go for a run. Tomorrow, hallelujah, we interview maids!

2 comments:

NYHH said...

I am so envious of sleeping late.. hopefully this Sunday I will not even set my alarm. Exciting!

Anyway, I'm glad that you have your two married roomates as... well, as sympathetic friends, or something. Whatever they are. Maybe when Britt and I come over we can have a platonic cuddle party? Cause, I needs me some cuddlin' and I bet Britt might too since her man is off on a boat or something :)

Clara said...

Hey la Chinita!

You know, I think wherever you go, you'll find some version of those same face-sucking, ass grabbing, Wedding March whistling couples.

I was on the Metro escalator the other day and it was couples galore. For someone who is decidedly single, this was a very disturbing sight. Everywhere I turn there are couples walking around!

I've been cuddling though - with JLo. It grosses her out but I get a huge kick out of that. ;)

Hope you're well. Email me sometime.
~c