25 September 2007

October 8th

Is when Mi Novio and I are going to do a soft move, regardless of whether we actually have jobs or not. And by move, I mean move from staying with his parents in DC to staying with his sister in NYC. We reached a point last week when we questioned the perspicacity of both of us turning down job offers but it appears that the unemployment gods have smiled upon us and we've been blessed with some interesting possibilities. Praise Jesus.

I interviewed for an account job yesterday and, when she asked how b-school would help me be a strategic partner with their pharma clients, I had to quell my instinct to yell that it's not rocket science. Very few jobs are, in fact, rocket science or brain surgery and monkeys can do most jobs like pick stocks or orbit space. I'm not belittling it but, for fuck's sake, a reasonably intelligent person could do any job well. At least that's what Bravo is hoping with that scintillating show where spouses do each other's job. Anyway, I was telling JLo this yesterday over dinner and I think the waiter thought I was a major biznatch because these were the snippets he caught in between clearing the deconstructed french onion soup to serve the deconstructed cesear salad.

We have not been doing much since moving out of Windsor Castle last month since most of our friends have now left DC. Mostly job stuff, wedding stuff, and cooking meals that doesn't involve a microwave. The nadir was an afternoon o' drinking with a friend that started with lunch, continued at Rosa Mexicana, and ended at a pub broadcasting rugby. Who has a job that lets them leave to watch rugby?

We went to an Oktoberfest party this weekend and sampling 5 different sausages and beer made me fall asleep at 8:30 and wake up at 9:30 the next morning (that's 13 hours for the mathematically challenged). One would think that a stretch of unemployment would be conducive to getting a proper 8 hours a night but no. We have evolved into hamsters but, now that Mi Novio's mom is back from holiday, have to try to wake up something close to normal people hours despite going to bed at 4am. I had one of those dreams that start out normal but becomes just weird enough that you soon know it's a dream. Anyway, this was supposed to be a travel blog but there will be no more holidays in the coming year [insert Salem Saberhagen-like sobs].

I almost forgot! Mint is a totally free money management site. It links to your checking, savings, and other accounts to analyze your cash-to-debt ratio as well as spending patterns by category and historical spending. Apparently, Zipcar is my most frequent merchant. Mi Novio questions the security but you don't enter your username and password, it just links to the external site. Your enthusiasm for the site also depends on how honest you want to be about your financial situation...

No comments: