27 September 2006

Anem a la platja

Monday I finally made it to the beach! It was perfect: sunny, breezy, not too hot and I was relieved that the last two weeks of rain didn't portend the end of summer. I read, listened to music, and took a little siesta (ha, ha, Christina likes to sleep. a lot. in the afternoon). I went to a catalonian wine expo afterwards that was fantastic. It was held outside by the port and I had dinner for only 11 Euro: four glasses of cava and rosé and enough sausage, cheese, and pastries to be both drunk and stuffed. Sex-y. I really do like Barcelona and, lack of dryers notwithstanding, think it is an ideal place to live. It combines the best of California (beaches, warm weather, easy going) with everything I love about New York (culture, walkable, nightlife, architecture).

This week is orientation for exchange students. Yesterday was the kickoff and I met most of the other students I hadn't already been in class with. It was a looong day filled with presentations that mercifully ended with free drinks. This morning we had a class on the modern sociopolitical history of Spain. It started with a quiz on which I scored 0/15. Could you correctly identify Spain's political system? Luckily, it evolved into a really interesting discussion on language and how a country's attitude towards it affects its political/economic landscape. More importantly, today, I found an English-speaking place that does mani/pedi and eyebrows. Tomorrow is a bus tour of the less accessible tourist spots and then it's off to San Sebastian for a long weekend with some of the other exchange students. But I'm also keeping it real. I had to clean the disgusting kitchen today (worse than Plimpton senior year) since we haven't found a maid and spent an hour with my roommate taking apart and putting together the bathroom sink pipes because I dropped my contact case in there and the water wouldn't drain.

In honor of today's semi-intellectual post, here are some random facts about Barcelona that's not included in the guidebooks.
  • It is seriously polluted. How can I notice it here and not in California or New York? The floor hasn't been swept in months and my bare feet were black the first night from all the dust/exhaust on the floor.
  • The mullet is de rigeur among Spanish youth and the combination mullet/dreads look is particularly favored by guys.
  • You have to hail buses.
  • The water, while potable, is not palatable. Brita doesn't exist here but bottled water in thankfully very cheap.
  • Very few people speak English. When I bought pork chops for dinner tonight, the butcher pointed to a picture of a pig so I wouldn't misunderstand him.
  • Nearly every single consonant is pronounced with a lisp and I am torn between pronouncing things correctly or not having to supress the urge to snicker.
  • For some reason, there are only crosswalks on one, and not both, side of the street.

4 comments:

Katie Davis said...

I have no interesting or insightful comment to share, but just wanted to say hello. Barcelona is polluted, yes, but beautiful. I'm glad you got some good beach time. I hope you're getting some glamour to counteract all the cleaning. xoxo

Katie Davis said...

by the way, that was katie, aka GC, commenting. I have no idea why blogger is using my real name all of a sudden. Weird.

NYHH said...

How far away is the beach, and how do you get there?

And, the wine? How was it at the expo? Sweet, dry, lots of red, more white, what? I know nada.

I think I would have gotten 0/15 too. Was that how everyone did?

Manipedi... VERY importatant. Now that you have found that, everything else will fall into place :)

Pictures?

Anonymous said...

The city of San Francisco has culture, nightlife, architecture, walkable, and more! - I heart SF.