Readers, you have brought up very good questions such as "Do you know Spanish" and "Has anything happened?" The answers to both these questions are kind of but not really. It has not stopped raining since I arrived in Spain, for which my roommates blame me entirely. I am also horribly jetlagged and still on West Coast time. Wednesday, I was awake between 5:30am and 12pm and fell asleep on top of the covers, convinced that I would only take a little siesta if I didn't physically get in bed. I woke up at 10:30pm.
I walked around for a bit but my neighborhood, Sant Gervasi, used to be a separate city before incorporation and is quieter. At midnight, it's mainly people going home or walking their dogs. So I puttered around but didn't fall asleep until 7 or 8am. It's actually nice being awake while everyone sleeps. It's interesting to listen to the rhythms of a new city and building. It is practically dead quiet until 6 or 7am when I hear the clinking of dishes as people start breakfast. I can hear everything from my room whether it is an alarm that rings to a Sousa march, the plumbing after a random person pees in the middle of the night, or the hum of the ubiquitous motorbikes that line the tiny alleys here.
I woke up at 6 tonight so I got to walk amongst civilization on Av. Diagonal. I went a department store, El Corte Ingles, where I swear a security guard followed me on the escaltors. I don't blame him since I stand out so much. Aside from the Filipino nannies during the day and one of my roommates, I am the only Asian here. It is the little things that make you feel ridiculously stupid or triumphant. For example, I made dinner wherein I microwaved scrambled eggs because I couldn't figure out how to work the stove (you have to light it first). But, today, I found a place that sells soy milk even if it's overpriced. So, I promise that the next post will be more exciting.
14 September 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
MANONGS! Everywhere you go, there are MANONGS! (heh heh) Sounds like a lot of fun. I love just wandering around cities I'm not familiar with. Boooo! on the security guy following you around. You should have given him a nasty look or two.
Your jet lag sounds awful. In the normal scheme of things I've never known you to sleep during the day! ;-)- Kirath
I used to think the Manong Conspiracy was just a little joke. As you can see, me and Perez were totally right on. Soon we will all bow down to the almighty Filipino throne located underwater in the MIDINAO SEA!
Miss you tons.
Love,
Neighborsman
How could the next post be more exciting than one about scrambled, microwaved eggs? Please.
When do classes start? I mean, as long as you are in the right time zone by then, it's all good.
Hello, sarcasm is the refuge of losers. But seriously, there will be no further mention of eggs whether they be chicken, human, or fish.
HEY!!! I misssed you the other day huh? Were you in AZ?!?! I actually wasn't even here but on my way back...driving from CA. We got in 2:30am Mon night/Tues morning. Not fun but we made it. It would've been so cool to see you! Your message just said you were at the airport so I am guessing that it was Tucson...
Spain sounds like quite an adventure. Just remember that everyday! You'll look back on these times with joy one day.
Miss you! My
Post a Comment